~ An Interview with Nethravathi
The year 2020 campaign theme is an equal world that is an enabled world. #EachforEqual . We can actively choose to challenge stereotypes, fight bias, broaden perceptions, improve situations and celebrate women's achievements. Collectively, each one of us can help create a gender-equal world.
- What does the International Women’s Day theme, #EachforEqual mean for you in your work life?
I believe that this is an important theme as women globally are struggling with. Our only request is that we be treated equally and are given an opportunity to innovate and change the world to being a more safe and equitable place.
- What are some of the challenges you faced as a woman in your life?
I come from a family with limited resources. Many decisions were made solely based on our family’s finances. There were times when I felt I did not get the support and encouragement needed while growing up. Now when I think about it, I realize that my family really worked hard to provide us with the basic necessities of life and never had time or money to provide us the required support and encouragement. I really hope that there will be more public and private supported programs that will support and encourage children.
- Why did you choose to become an accountant?
I love everything about numbers and accounting. I like the complexities and always strive for a balance.
Assets = Liabilities + Equity . Just this one accounting formula can make or break a business and be an important guide for many decisions made by all businesses.
- What’s the most important piece of advice you’d give to a woman thinking of starting a career in accounting?
Take on new challenges by getting out of your comfort zone. Be open to opportunities and give them a try. This the only way to know what your strengths are and grow ahead in your career.
- What are your main responsibilities and achievements of your organization?
I maintain the books and more importantly provide the management with meaningful actionable data that are used to make important expansion and hiring decisions. I feel very happy when I hear that the information provided by me helped the company address an important question or assisted in making an informed decision.
- How would you describe your job environment?
It is a small team of 15 members who have big dreams and a positive attitude. It is a goal-oriented team who really work hard, mutually respect and support each other.
- Who’s your role model and why?
My mother, Rathna continues to inspire me. It is because of her that I am an independent working woman today. Thanks, Amma.
- When did you start your first job and What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
1st June 2017. I bought my first smartphone
- What are the concerns women are facing today?
Addressing Insecurity and sexual harassment are the need of the hour.
- What is currently being done and what opportunities are there at your organization to help create a gender-equal world?
Our organization provides equal opportunities to participate in crucial activities that are helping in the growth of the company. The company has a goal of having 50% women in the company workforce and I hope that day is very near.
Consider having a women wellness committee, where women can bring up their concerns and have a safe place to express themselves.